Someone asked, “How far along are you on Season Three?”
Thanks for the question and your enthusiasm. Season Two isn’t even out yet! October 1 is Tuesday! It’s going to be fun.
The heavy answer is, I know how the serial ends and I have 35,000 words of Season 3 so far. (Season One was 106,000 words and Season Two is about 80,000.)
Season Three will be between 80,000-90,000 words. Here are the chapter titles so far, as they appear in my writing program:
The bonus is something I was going to include at the end of Season One, but my beta readers talked me out of it. That’s a good thing. You can read it below on this site, anyway, if you’re interested.
As you can see, Season 2, Episode 5 got moved around and then down into this list.
The “BRILLIANT IDEA”? Can’t tell you that, but it came to me over dinner one night that I knew how the war would be lost, won and/or solved in a way that isn’t a cliche. Cliches are tough to avoid in this genre sometimes, but the solutions and resolutions need to be unique in This Plague of Days. More crowbars and machine guns? Not the answer. Not in TPOD, anyway.
By my lights, there’s enough gunplay in Seasons One and Two, but as with my crime novels, I’m more interested in killing people in clever ways.
And see the file marked “ODDS”. As I write, rewrite and edit, a lot of stuff comes to me that I like and can’t bring myself to use or delete. I stuff all those bits into the ODDS file, probably never to be seen again. I’m a bit of a hoarder. I collect books, dictionaries and neuroses.
Got a question? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This Plague of Days: Influences on Season Two (and me!) (thisplagueofdays.com)
- Season Two of This Plague of Days is coming. Here’s what’s next. (allthatchazz.com)
- Season 2 of This Plague of Days: Behind the scenes in the final polish and hitting #9 (thisplagueofdays.com)
- This Plague of Days: Explaining Serialization to Readers (thisplagueofdays.com)
- Things get paranormal. Or do they? Sentient trees and This Plague of Days (thisplagueofdays.com)
- Bubonic Plague Still Kills Thousands (livescience.com)
- What happened to your city in This Plague of Days? (thisplagueofdays.com)